Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Kitchen Remodel

It's been said that if your marriage can survive a kitchen remodel, you in are pretty solid relationship.

Since this is our sixth kitchen remodel in ten years, we are feeling pretty certain we can endure just about anything.

But to be fair, we enjoy the process.

In my prior post  I showed some of that process and promised pictures of the backsplash, so here it is.

View from open living room. Concrete-quartz counters, bamboo floor


Tile is Diamond Tech Green Tea Staggered with glass, stainless and stone




We are in the process now of refinishing the cabinet doors and replacing hardware. I'll let you know how that goes later.

When we moved in the cabinet doors were "very used". The finish had started to flake off in places. I was able to match the stain color, and since all the cabinets were the same thing, it was going to be a cakewalk to get a like new finish, thus foregoing an expensive cabinet swap out as we've done in past houses.

It worked -- everywhere that is, but the kitchen.

What a disaster. For some reason those doors ended up being shiny in some places, flat in others, and over all, a mess. I am trying two fix-it techniques to see what is the best and will report my experience. I'm going for the same satin java look with a new gel stain, instead of the rub on stain used previously. If that doesn't work, I'm pulling out my oldest trick, paint.

Regardless, these cabinets are going to look fantastic--or else.

No comments:

Post a Comment